Friday, January 25, 2013

the blizzard of 1978




Today marks the 35th anniversary of The Blizzard Of 1978 (Midwest version.)

This tune is about the storm that struck Michigan, Ohio and Great Lakes areas on this day. The singer calls out his local radio station by name: WLEN. I googled it and learned that the station is out of a town in Michigan called Adrian. Seems like kind of a random place for the record to come from, but it is what it is... The town looks to be about two hours south of Ann Arbor, and about two hours north of Toledo (traffic wise- assuming there's not a blizzard going on.) I wonder if this record was produced by that radio station?

I personally remember the storm that hit New England about a week later since i lived in a suburb of Hartford CT at the time. I was five years old in 1978, so the magnitude and huge-ness of the storm was kinda lost on me. I don't remember much about it other than lots of snow, and school being cancelled.


(Your host, and my mom's 1977 Toyota. 35 years ago this week.)



Enjoy this mediocre homage to an epic snowstorm.


get it

.

.




4 comments:

Rockin' Jeff said...

Anonymous said...
I remember the Blizzard of 1978. I was working at the UCONN Health Center in Farmington, CT. We kept the shuttle buses running although leavingthe grounds was almost impossible as the governor closed all the roads for a day or two.
Keep up the good music. I enjoy it more than words can say.

Rockin' Jeff said...

Commenter commented on wrong post...
But yeah. Thanks for the kind words.

Holly said...

I've got a similar picture of me next to the family VW Beetle, just outside of New Haven. Did you get an "I Survived the Blizzard of '78" t-shirt? I so dearly wish I still had mine...

Rockin' Jeff said...

No, but i did have an "I survived hurricane Bob" t-shirt that i actually still had up until a few years ago...

Related Posts with Thumbnails