Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Slurp!


Yesterday one of my co-workers suggested we get Slurpees from the 7-11 down the street. It was hot, and i hadn't had one in several years, so i thought it was a great idea. I told him to just "surprise me" with the flavor and i ended up with Mango.

I've been searching for this record ever since i learned of it's existence. Copies are fetching real money on ebay. Money i'm not willing to, and/or can't afford to spend. I found mine in the dusty three-for-a-buck crates at the record show last month. Score!

If you, like me, haven't had a Slurpee in a while, i would highly recommend picking one up in the near future. You'll be glad you did. Mine was quite refreshing.

Do the Slurp!


True testimonials from real folks who have Slurped:


do the Slurp

Strange things
.

.

2 comments:

Your Pal Doug said...

This is one crazy record.
What a find!!!
Thanks for all you do.
You have one of the coolest blogs around.

mike flugennock said...

Oh, wow! It's amazing where I'm seeing this record popping up recently. I've spotted the "Strange Things" side on WFMU's 365 Days Project, and I've seen both the "Strange Things" and "Dance The Slurp" sides at a couple of other collector's blogs. Now I'm spotting it here. Amazing. It's like this obscure old product promo record has suddenly become something "retro cool". I've even heard about a club DJ doing a mashup mix of the "Strange Things" track.

I bought a copy of this at a 7-11 in my neighborhood when I was about nine or ten years old, right about the time the Slurpee first came out, after hearing the commercials on the radio featuring excerpts from that silly-assed "Strange Things" track: "Ever since I started slurping at 7-11, my hair lays flat!"

I found mp3's of both sides of this 45 -- ripped from a copy in very good shape -- at another collector's blog last year. The "Dance The Slurp" side is actually a nice, jammin' '60s party track, and the "Strange Things" track is pretty much as funny as I remembered it. Sure as hell wish I still had my copy now.

Ahh, memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails