Friday, April 6, 2012

White Sox Gettin Down


Last summer i found a bag of more than 80 of these at a church garage sale on the south side. I think i gave the guy seven bucks for all of them.
Any Sox fans out there need a copy? Shoot me a message...

Last year i had the good fortune of going to a meet & greet autograph session at the ball park. I got Ozzie Guillen to sign two copies for me (he was on the '85 team), and he held up the line to tell me all about his vintage juke box in his home in Venezuela. Not even making this up. He was excited when i gave him two copies of his own. He said "I can't wait to listen to this," and i could tell that he actually meant it. I also got Harold Baines and Greg walkers autographs (both on the '85 team as well), and gave them their own copies. None of them remembered it.

I've tried on a few occasions to find information on Wayne Mayfield and/or this record, but the internets come up short. I would like to say your welcome to all White Sox fans out there, as i am single-handedly responsible for giving this one back to all of cyberspace. This song went unheard for 25 years or so, and if i hadn't rescued these records, it would still be long forgotten... You are welcome. You are all very welcome.

Some White Sox fan page on Tumblr stole my label scan and MP3 after the first time i posted it last summer, and who knows where it was linked from there. We'll see where it ends up after this post.

Get down!


play ball

.

.

6 comments:

Ray said...

Wow, this has been one of my holy grails for a LONG time! I was actually a member of the ChiSox Club back in 1985 (they later merged with the Coca-Cola White Sox Fan Club) and I remember this single being talked about at one of the board meetings. Unfortunately I didn't purchase one at the time (I was still a starving college student and it was all I could do to afford my Ramen noodles back then) and have searched high and low for YEARS. Somewhere I have a photocopy of a news article (from the Southtown, perhaps?) regarding this record, and I'll see if I can find it and forward a copy to you.

Cheers and Go White Sox!!!
Ray
Dallas, TX

Rockin' Jeff said...

Do you want a copy? If you want to pay for postage, and throw me a small donation for my efforts, i'll drop one in the mail for you...

Ray said...

Hey Jeff! I'm thinking I just purchased a copy you had listed on eBay. I did a random search for White Sox Music and there it was. Further searching on Google led me to your blog, so I just put 2 and 2 together and voila! Anyway thanks again for rediscovering this long lost and forgotten relic. BTW I found the photocopy of the news article I mentioned and I'll send a copy to you!

Rockin' Jeff said...

Ha! I'll get that out for you tomorrow morning...
Thanks!

Damon F. said...

Wow, that's actually not too bad of a song. Reminds me of Widespread Panic, but before they were formed!

Rockin' Jeff said...

Damon F-
If you like odd-ball, non-traditional christmas music check out Wayne Mayfield's "Santa's Trucker" (posted here sometime last December.) It's so bad, you'll have a hard time sitting through all five minutes of it...

Thanks fer droppin by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails